Wednesday, November 8, 2017 9:00am – Thursday, November 9, 2017 5:00pm
Event location: Nova Scotia Archives, 6016 University Avenue Halifax, NS, B3H 1W4
*This workshop is now full. If you would like to be placed on a wait-list, please contact Jennifer at firstname.lastname@example.org
This workshop discusses the importance of preparing for emergencies, shows how to form and train an emergency response team, provides guidance in creating an effective emergency plan, and offers training in the salvage of water-damaged collections. The workshop is highly interactive and includes lectures, demonstrations, discussions, group exercises and hands-on activities.
Upon completion of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- identify the principal emergency risks affecting their collections
- develop a written emergency response plan for their institution
- create an emergency response team
- develop the team’s decision-making skills using emergency scenario exercises
- salvage water-damaged artifacts and collections
- employ appropriate health and safety measures in the event of an emergency
- identify measures to avoid, block, detect and/or respond to potential hazards
Participants will receive and learn how to use the digital CCI Emergency Response Planning Workbook, which includes an associated emergency plan template, worksheets, salvage information and related resources. These materials provide a step-by-step guide to assist participants in creating an emergency response programme on their own after the workshop that is customized to the needs of their institution.
Employees in cultural institutions involved in emergency preparedness, including directors, collections managers, facility managers, preparators, conservators, curators, archivists, librarians, registrars, volunteers, security and maintenance personnel.
Minimum 10; maximum 20
Registration opens September 5, 2017 at noon, and closes October 27, 2017 at 4:00pm.
For more details, or to view the entire CCI Workshop Calendar, click here.
Registration: Register Online