The Association of Nova Scotia Museums (ANSM) is a registered non-profit organisation. Originally established in 1976 as the Federation of Museums, Heritage and Historical Societies, the name was changed to Federation of Nova Scotia Heritage in 1982. In 2007, to underscore the organisation’s refined focus on the province’s museum sector, the organisation assumed its current name – the Association of Nova Scotia Museums.
Our Mission: To nurture excellence in and champion on behalf of museums in Nova Scotia.
Our Vision: Museums in Nova Scotia are valued for their community service, are sustainable, and operate according to recognised standards of excellence.
Our Mandate: Working in partnership with museums, communities and supporters, ANSM’s mandate is to:
- Support professional best practices in Nova Scotia’s museums;
- Educate Nova Scotians about the value of museums and Nova Scotian stories;
- Act as a champion on behalf of museums in Nova Scotia;
- Engage in activities with provincial, national and international partners that further ANSM’s aims and benefit the museum sector as a whole.
Our Values: The following values underpin what ANSM does and how we work:
ANSM has identified the following five issues as being those of greatest strategic importance to the organisation over the next four years:
- Financial Stability
- Human Resources
- External Relations
The board has established the following goals in relation to ANSM’s four priority issues:
- Financial Stability: To establish a diversified, stable base of funding that allows ANSM to deliver its core programming and priority strategic initiatives.
- Programming: To deliver a wide range of programs that are accessible, flexible and responsive to the diverse needs of our museum community.
- Human Resources: To ensure that ANSM has a strong team with the skills, resources and supports necessary to effectively meet the needs of the museums of Nova Scotia, and to engage in activities that improve conditions for museums as a whole.
- External Relations: To work constructively with government, peers, and partner organisations to create conditions that improve the profile, sustainability and success of ANSM, museums in Nova Scotia, and the museum sector as a whole.
- Accreditation: To establish a province wide accreditation program that recognises excellence in museum practice.